Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Misfire bank 2, 140k steady, 2005 f150 5.4 3valve, has no

Customer Question

misfire bank 2
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 140k steady
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 f150 5.4 3valve
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: has no power and pings when u accelerate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: plugs swapped coils
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Misfire bank 2 or cylinder 2?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bank 2 driver side
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Compression cylinder 5 150psi
6 150
7 130
8 150 psi
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Does it misfire at idle? Any rattling or dieseling noises at idle?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

If it does not misfire at idle and is quiet I would check exhaust back pressure on that bank next.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also noticed first 20seconds it idles ok then runs rough
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

OK then it probably either jumped time or the phaser is stuck on that bank or there is an oil pressure problem to that phaser.. Do you have a scanner that can display VCT error correction data?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What would I be looking for? In terms of data
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

The PCM commands the phasers a certain degrees then monitors the position with the cam sensor. It then displays this data in a pid called VCT error correction. Its the difference between commanded and actual.There is one pid for each bank. It is displayed in degrees, zero is perfect. Usually with a concern like yours I see error correction 10 - 15 degrees on the bank that is misfiring. I usually see 160 - 180 compression in these when they are good.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did notice it would jump from 13.5 to zero but compared to bank 1 it was similar. How would determine or condemn phaser, jumped time or pressure to phaser
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

It will move on acceleration and deceleration. If it moves at idle without touching the throttle then that's a problem. ARe you sure both banks were moving the same direction? Often the bad bank will go negative and the good bank will be biased positive at the same time. With this year engine and those miles before putting any $$$ into engine I would check oil pressure hot engine with a manual gauge, it should be 25 or better in gear at idle fully hot engine. If lower or spiking around then suspect excessive crankshaft endplay (very common on these) If oil pressure steady and above 25 then next I remove valve cover from bank that is missing and pull a few cam caps and inspect surfaces for grooving or galling (also very common). If either of these are bad then its engine time. I'm signing off, will check back in the AM if you have any follow up.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z