Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

This Andre I would like you to help me I am working on a

Customer Question

Hi this Andre I would like you to help me I am working on a Ford Exhibition 1998 I would like to no how to set the timing up on it were to put the right cam. Is it possible to send me a picture of how to put the timing chain on the cams
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to walk you through that for your Ford. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

is this a 4.6 or 5.4 engine??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5.4
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
V8 5.4L
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

ok, I attached a picture of where the timing marks need to be when the chains are installed.

Roy

please take a moment and rate my service. please hit 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should the key way and the crankshaft point to the the 11 o clock position and should the mark at the bottom be at the 6 o clock position? The engine I am working on the cams have "R" on one side and "L" on the other side so should I make the "L" go between the two colored link and the "R" go directly through the two colored link also
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

no

the crank goes straight up as in the picture. the keyway is at 12 o clock. the cams l and r just mean left and right. they are not marks. use the marks as indicated in the diagram. they are the marks that go between the colored chain links.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

That information is incorrect. If you put the keyway a 12 o'clock it will bend/break valves. You are correct, keyway at 11 and mark at 6. single colored link on the 6 o'clock mark. Link below for diagram. If the L and R are the only marks on the cam gears then they should have small arrows built into the letters, those arrows go between the colored links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clkapqgzcygic5z/timing.pdf?dl=0

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The first piston on the right side of the block is number one I just need to know where the cams should fall in place for the chains to go on
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

There is no exact cam position, that why you mark the chain links. Just make sure the bottom gear is on the single link and the double links are straddling the cam gear mark with the guides on and tensioners released. That's it. The cam positions are approximate to get you close, the final set up is using the links. There should be no slack in the chain opposite the tensioner. If that side has no slack,marks lined up with links and tensioner released, your good to go. Here is a better pick of the crank marks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x62m7xn74og48zw/crank.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can You Send Me The Picture FOR The Too cams mark just like the picture you send me to download just now
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Can't find a picture, this should work...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k44qat7n5yum9zu/cam.jpg?dl=0

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks this was what I wanted to see.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome and best of luck!

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I see that you are viewing my replies without responding or rating. Is there anything else I can help you with to close out this thread and finish our session? If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated and our session closed out.

Thanks,

Kenny