Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2001 escape 3.0 misfire @4&6 put new connectors on coils it

2001 escape 3.0 misfire @4&6 put new connectors on coils it started and ran with ground and pos at each coil. It didnt affect the engine if i disconnected 4 or 6. but we had spark. This morning no start with no ground to the coils
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 190000 and steady from what we can tell
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: cleaned all connectors and grounds all pins good and clean
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i moved the pcm harness and it started buzzing i let off it stopped ill be back if i cant figure out Im still checking a few things

Hello, how many miles do you have on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
190000
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Iam a shop and do restorations so my skill on diagnostics of newer cars and especially fords(lol) isnt super strong
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it had codes for random misfire , misfire 4, misfire 6 & range sensor out of place

I'm sorry i was having issue with my system.

And by connectors on coil, do you mean spark plug cables?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I mean all visible connectors and grounds and I jumped ground to the motor and no change

Do you have communication with the pcm?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do i check that ? Lights and ignition all work fine

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will tomorrow so i will talk to you then. Ok

Ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok its communicating and i have nothing at all at the cps
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i dont have a scanner but powering through without it

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

I see you requested a new tech, would you like me to help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please Help
Im about to ohm the coils to be sure those are all good
any ideas ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
while it was still running the other day, i grabbed the harness out of the pcm and moved it around with the key in the on position.. It started humming like an electrical circuit. it wont make that noise anymore
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I pullede the intake. The wires for the coils on that side are all brittle and cracked torn insulation. All injectors Ohm'd betweem 14.8 and 15.1 Im saying its a bad harness and possible computer (PCM)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also disconnected the aftermarket alarm

So as of now you have a crank no start and no ground pulse to the coils. The PCM needs to see a crank sensor signal for it to pulse the coils. You can check that with a scan tool looking at CKP. Also the check engine light will remain on while cranking if there is no CKP signal to the PCM. Can you let me know those results.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have a scan tool. The rpm needle does not move while cranking. And I tested the connection while cranking and nothing with a test light. No power no ground.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
at the crank positioning sensor. Also the engine light does come on while cranking as well as the theft light for the factory passive alarm. So you have to be forming a hypothesis by now? What do you think ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i will make sure to leave feedback today before i sign off

At this time without a scan tool, the best I can come up with is the brittle exposed wiring is damaged and to blame. PCM failure, or the CKP sensor is reading but just not accurate and PCM is not getting an accurate signal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what will i need to do with the scan tool

You will need to hook it up to the data link connector with the key on and monitor the CKP and CMP sensors while cranking. You should see a rpm reading from both very similar around 150-250 rpms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok ill get back to you

Super

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience