Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My gas light came on with 3/4 full tank. Won't go out. The

My gas light came on with 3/4 full tank. Won't go out.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The tank and cap
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just happened on my way home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wondering if it's a faulty cap or maybe a sensor

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

If you are referring to the fuel cap light and not the low fuel light. The fuel cap light means an EVAP system leak has been detected. This can be the cap left loose, the cap seal bad, or the more common EVAP system leak. The EVAP system collects fuel tank vapors and routes them to the intake to be burnt off. A smoke machine is used to find leaks. You can check, or replace the cap and reset the code to see if that helps but if it returns, testing will be needed.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt answer. I had a feeling that's what was happening. I appreciate your time

You are welcome