rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I recently bought an F150 3.7L, 6R80 transmission. Sometimes

Customer Question

I recently bought an F150 3.7L, 6R80 transmission. Sometimes when I start driving after stopping for a light or something the transmission doesn't want to shift. I shift it manually and it seems to clear up. It does not always give a trouble code, but one day I did get a 0720 code.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Sorry, the only light I mentioned was stopping for a traffic light, or stop sign and that is not the only time it does it, sometimes it does it after I have been parked outside a store, and start it to drive home.
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 2012, built 7/12 in Kansas City
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, the Ford forum seemed to think it was a problem with the output speed sensor problem. I do not live near a Ford dealership, so I ordered a sensor online, #DY-1235-3L3Z-7M101-AA, giving them my VIN number to check if it was the right one. However when I took it to the local mechanic, he said it did not look anything like the one on my truck!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was going to ask about if I could add cruise control to the truck, but I think I'd better concentrate on getting it to work right first!
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and this is
the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside pan.
Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just were a
bit low on fluid.
Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you
have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or
touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated. JA is a
great Q/A site, but it does not replace a repair shop. So please
don’t shoot the messenger if I have to deliver bad news:)

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep
this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Did you have any more questions for me?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This truck has only 77355 miles on it, the fluid in the transmission is clean and full. I am concerned about the 2 recalls Ford has issued on this year of truck. As I will have to drive a days journey to get to a Ford dealer for repairs, I do not want to be damaging the transmission by driving it.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

I can't make that decision for you, but if you feel that you can manually shift it and get it there safely, then go for it. Trans fluid should be changed every 30-40K miles also. You can also call the dealer and give them your VIN to make certain before you go there that they will fix this issue.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link for future use.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
According to Ford, as stated in the maintenance section of the owners manual, the fluid level should be checked every 30,000 miles, but the first change is listed at 100,000 miles.
I do not feel I am knowledgeable enough to know if I would be damaging the transmission or not by driving it for about 500 miles for service.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

That's all fine if their manual states that and you know that the fluid is red by checking it yourself. However, I could never give you the green light to say it's okay to drive it that far.

If you call AAA, member or not, they can direct you to a qualified shop that also does dealer recalls. Many shops out there are permitted to do them. Now you don't have to drive it 500 miles.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron