Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I am trying to program a new key fob for my car, its a 96

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I am trying to program a new key fob for my car
JA: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: its a 96 ford thunderbird
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nope I had to buy it blank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the key fob came with instructions and says to find a programming connector but I can't find it at all where it says
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

This is what I share with all customers that ask how to program the key FOBs to their Fords. I like to use this link because it has both sets of instructions for both types programming as well as a video on how to do it. One way is with door open and another is with door closed.

Just be sure to have all the key FOBs you want programmed for the vehicle when you do these steps for it will not allow the old ones to be used once the programming starts.

CLICK HERE for the instructions.

On the instructions you have, that sounds more like for programming the key itself. The chip keys require you to connect the key programmer and/or Ford IDS to the OBD port, which is at the right knee area on the bottom of the dash. It is the 18 pin plug that is used for the vehicle diagnostics. Some of the vehicles also use that for the key FOBs for the newer Thunderbirds that have the key FOB and chip in one key. You shouldn't need that for your year. The instructions I provided should be all you need for your year for the key FOB aka remote.

Now if you are programming a chip key, that is different and needs the computer hooked up to program.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy