Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Edge manual lift gate won't open. Can hear mechanism,

Customer Question

Ford Edge manual lift gate won't open. Can hear mechanism, but won't open.
JA: What year is your Edge?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tried locking and unlocking power door locks.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes, just started. No way to open from inside that I can see.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Do you know how to remove the interior door trim on the liftgate?

Can you hear the lock actuator work inside the gate when locking and unlocking with the fob?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can hear the actuator. I don't know that I can remove the inside panel with the lift gate down. I have had it off before, but with the lift gate up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not at home with the vehicle right now. What can you tell me about a solution?

Prior to being able to diagnose and solve the liftgate trim panel has to come off. Since you already know how to do that then you will need to attempt that at home later or take it to a shop that can get it off. Once inside the liftgate you need to try and manually get the latch to release. If it sill not then we would need to do electrical testing on it to make sure it is getting signaled. If it is and will not release then the latch has to be broken apart so the gate can be opened and latch replaced.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose