A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

After a strong rain storm my truck refuse to shift out of

Customer Question

After a strong rain storm my truck refuse to shift out of park. I found out that windows tend to leak water into the fuse box and blow out the 5 amp fuse that controls the windows, wipers and interior lights and the gear shifter. I've replaced it about a dozen times and with same results blown fuse. I've dry the fuse box area with blow dryer but still same results. The odd part of it is the fuse will blow if you don't have the engine running so if you replace the fuse prior to starting the engine it blows or soon after you turn off the engine. No other fuses in the box has blown only this one. I don't know what to do.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 months ago.

The water leak is actually cause by the fender to wiper cowl seam under the plastic wiper cowl panel. The inner fender well over laps the metal wiper cowl panel. You will need to seal the seam and then inspect the dash fuse box, the two large wiring bulk connectors on the back of the fuse box for corrosion and also inspect the GEM module mounted on the back of the fuse box. It is a very common problem on the F150s and Expeditions of this body style.