Merc320
Merc320, Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

My asphalt street is on a 14 degree slope and when I pull

Customer Question

My asphalt street is on a 14 degree slope and when I pull into my driveway and cross the slight asphalt drainage shoulder the left front wheel is up higher in the wheel well than the right front wheel. I hear a noise like something is scraping the pavement. (Everything is at least 4-5 inches above the pavement. It's not an external meeting of car to road nor wheels to wheel well.) The noise is a wheel disengaging from its "torque connection?". Slight momentum allows re-engagement and I can drive into the driveway. But if I stop when I hear the noise, the van can not move forward when you accelerate! The "grinding" noise continues until you take you foot off the gas. I can let the van roll backwards and then go forward, letting momentum move the van past the angle that causes the traction disconnect. What the heck is going on?
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: I'm confused.
JA: How can we be of help?
Customer: I just spent 10 minutes typing the problem, you dont see it?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From day 1, I always thought that possibly a lower skirt was touching the ground. But it is internal it the drive line.
JA: What is the model of your '14 Ford?
Customer: 2016, Transit connect from Spain.
JA: Are you fixing your Transit Connect yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just discovered it was the drive line 15 minuets age. It's 9:30 PM here in Hawaii
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Merc320 replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Sounds like you have a drive shaft fault.

You need to go to a workshop and get them checked, the splines on shaft could be worn doing damage to gearbox.