Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 Ford Ranger. Fuel gauge sometimes reads over full when

Customer Question
the truck is started (even...
2002 Ford Ranger. Fuel gauge sometimes reads over full when the truck is started (even though the tank is not full). Turning it off and restarting causes the gauge to read correctly.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Truck runs good otherwise. I'm not sure but the mileage may not be as good sometimes as others.
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to repair it myself. I haven't done anything yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else. Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Because it resets after restarting, I am skeptical about it being a short circuit which I think would be the most likely cause of reading overfull. That also causes me to doubt it is a problem with the sender in the gas tank. Could it be something with some other computer system on the truck? If the truck fuel mileage has gotten slighlty worse, is that possibly something with the PCM?
5/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. May I have the engine size of the vehicle, please, so that I may assist you better?

3.0 V6 FFV engine

Thank you. Just a moment, please.

You will need a multimeter that is capable of testing ohms for this diagnosis. This information will help you determine whether you issue is in the cluster, the circuits, or the sender itself.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed
What is your best guess? Given that it resets when the truck is restarted, which of those is the most likely? Doesn't it seem to be something that resets when the truck is turned off?

My best guest would be the cluster. This is the component that interprets the signal, and is likely the suspect. Although, that is a guess. You should check the system and circuits for proper function. Preferably, before the reset takes place so you may get any faulty readings that may be presents.

what may be the problem if the truck is not getting as good a fuel mileage as it was previously? Would that indicate a different problem? I have a code reader and have used it when the gauge is reading over full. On those occasions I get the P0460 code but nothing else.

I'm here. This code is indicating a circuit issue and is likely due to the fuel sender itself starting to malfunction. This would also explain the fuel mileage issue. You should test the circuits to be sure, but you will more than likely end up replacing the fuel sender unit.

Would the fuel sender be intermitent? I can always make the fuel gauge read correctly just by turning the truck off and restarting it.

Yes, the sender can have an intermittent issue that can cause this issue.

You need to have the circuits tested to be sure, but base on the information that you have given, and the code, you may end up replacing the sender unit.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician