Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2013 expedition EL, BACK hatch won't open, quarter panel

Customer Question

2013 expedition EL, BACK hatch won't open, quarter panel glass won't open, 3rd row seats wont fold down.
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition EL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to. Haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

We are only permitted to help diagnose and fix one issue per post. Which would you like me to help on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Back hatch issue. They all 3 started happening after the quarter panel glass broke. The glass does vent.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The glass has been repaired.

We will need to access the internals of the liftgate from inside the vehicle with the liftgate trim panel removed. Is that something you will be able to do?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The hatch did try to open after the glass broke but only webt up a couple of feet then closed back down. Had to open manually. Now it won't open at all. Glass broke 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should be able to with you tube.

I have the steps to remove the trim panel here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycp3r9a1xf5t7ps/liftgate13.pdf?dl=0

Once inside try to hand work the latch to get it to release so we can then do diag and repair with the gate open.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it open.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Checked fuse 14 it seems to be good.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?