Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2006 E-250 with a 4.6 what side is bank 2

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

The driver side is bank 2 on this engine as cylinder #1 is on the passenger side which makes it bank 1.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am getting a P0430 and o2 codes for bank 2 and a egr code. The engine has a lack of power as well. The temp of the drivers side cat is 180 and the temp of the passenger side is 390.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

With that type of temp difference, bank 2 converter has a partial restriction, most likely starting to melt and block the exhaust. The O2 sensor codes can just be due to this, as well as the egr code due to the higher exhaust temps affecting the egr performance.

I would start with replacing the converter and erasing the codes before replacing the O2 sensors or egr valve.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Drivers side is bank 2
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

Correct, driver side is bank 2

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took the exhaust off of the drivers side with no change in how it runs so I dropped the passenger side and it still runs bad??? Checking on a stuck egr valve?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

very possible that the egr valve is stuck or even melted inside from the high exhaust gas temps.

Depending upon how long it was driven like this, it is also possible to have some burnt exhaust valves on bank 2, so you may want to do a compression check as well

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done a compression test after finding #6 and #7 spark fuel fouled. Bank 2 drivers side are all between 170psi and 175psi Bank 1 passenger side Range from 150psi to 160psi. Is this normal?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Yes, that is within normal range parameters and not unusual on a 11yr old engine to see one bank slightly higher than the other. But they are all within acceptable parameters.