Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 powerstroke and when I tried to add Freiburg

Customer Question

I have a 2006 powerstroke and when I tried to add Freiburg to the high side port, it wouldn't take the freon
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Don't have gauges
JA: What is the model of your '06 Ford?
Customer: F350
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ac goes from cold then hot. Figured Freiburg was low so bought Freon to install
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The compressor seems to work normal, but high side will not take any freon
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Are you trying to add the Freon on the high side port?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The high side port is on the canister right
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Any time you need to add Freon to the system it has to be added through the low side port ( suction side) . The low side service port is located on the top of the Accumulator on the passenger side of the firewall. See the diagram in the link below.. The port is #1 in the diagram. Is this the port your using?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Low%20side%20port%20May%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's the one I tried adding to. The one by the firewall
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay that is the correct port, the AC needs to be on and the compressor running when you add the Freon. Was the AC on and running when you tried to add the Freon?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looking into the port it appears that the spring inside isn't seated correctly
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

That may very well be the problem and if in fact that is the case the system will need to be evacuated and the shrader valve replaced.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Are you using a set of regular AC gauges to do this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this something I can do? And no I do not have gauges. Can this part be bought at a local auto parts store
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

You will need a set of real gauges and a recovery machine to recover the Freon and the system is drained then the valve come out just like a valve stem in the tire. The do see the kit at any parts store as well. I think before you do that you should try adding the Freon with a regular set of AC gauges. There fitting usually fit much better then the cheaper charge kits you get with the Freon. If you can get the Freon to take with the gauges that would avoid having to drain the system.