Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Have a 2004 F-550. Hose was dragging underneath. Turned out

Customer Question

Have a 2004 F-550. Hose was dragging underneath. Turned out to be a hydraulic fitting that attached to the bottom of a pulley driven unit. Followed hose up around driver side of engine compartment, and then under the rad/a/c condensor/transmission cooler and it attached at the top of the transmission cooler passenger side. Ford parts dealer cannot find the hose I'm talking about in his computer. Fitting into the cooler is just a standard 90 degree with a nut; there's another 90 degree ftting just below it. Parts guy maintains there shouldn't be a hydraulic pump driving the transmission cooler, but that's the way it looks. I don't think there's a problem running the bus as is for now unless you were heading to the mountains. Please advise what this hose is doing. Thanks.
JA: Have you checked the fluids recently?
Customer: I checked the transmission fluid with the truck running. Seems like the fluid level is only on the bottom set of hash marks, not the top, so it appears to be down.
JA: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We'd like to fix it with the students in the Metals shop. This is an F-550 with the 6.0 L turbodiesel, on a coach bus frame. The boss uses if for sports teams. It has a lot of different drivers, and it only gets into the bus barns twice a year for maintenance.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If I understand correctly, this line should be coming from the transmission and goes to the cooler. This hose is carrying transmission fluid. You can not drive the vehicle this way. You will lose all the transmission fluid and potentially damage the transmission.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Give me a moment, please to review a few things.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's coming from the housing at the bottom , not the transmission. Halfway along the hose is T fitting with a valve stem in it. The hose in total is eight feet. G
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

I'm here. Just so that I understand, this is hose is going to the radiator correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We got it figured out. There's actually two A/C condensers for this F-550, one for the cab, and one for the passengers at the back. The transmission cooler is in front of the radiator--couldn't see it initially. This eight foot hose has a valve stem fitting in it at a T just where the hose goes by the driver side battery in the engine compartment; therefore, this is not a transmission cooler line--it's an A/C line for the passenger air conditioning. Just need a new hose, and we have to pressure it up with refrigerant, and we should be good to go, provided the A/C condenser doesn't have a hole in it or something. That is a possibility, considering it's closest to the grill, and might have taken a rock at some point. My boss tells me the A/C for the passengers has never worked, so we'll sleuth it out. Thanks. Gary
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Sounds great. I'm glad you got this issue figure out. If you need anymore information on this issue, don't hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.
If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed