Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I'm having a very unusual problem with my Ford F150 4.2

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm having a very unusual problem with my Ford F150 4.2 liter 2003. Whenever I am driving on roads that have wavy concrete patterns in the surface of the road it causes my truck to begin to shudder slowly and to vibrate the entire vehicle and sometimes the shudder and shake becomes so intense and forceful that I feel as if the truck will fall apart if I don't slow back down and try to reach a smoother surface road. This violent shaking only occurs over wavy concrete roads and it doesn't occur at all when driving over smooth surfaces.
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had both lower ball joints and control arms and tie rods replaced by A Ford dealership service center, including alignment. I have replaced both front brake calipers and caliper brackets and brake pads n the last week as well
JA: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I have 125,000 miles on the odometer. The rotors are original to the the truck as far as I know as I am the second owner
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else to add at the moment
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, you dont have this concern on normal pavement? Only in a construction type pavement that has been ripped up? Where does the vibration start,in the steering or in the seat of your pants? Does it get worse with speed or with engine rpm? 2 or*****truck? Stick or automatic? At what speed does the vibration start and can you drive out of it or it gets worse with speed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vibration starts in the steering and then continues to increase until the entire truck is shuddering violently, and intensifying as the truck begins to respond as a resonant frequency to the waves and bumps upon the road. The shaking becomes a violent shudder of the entire vehicle until I either stop driving or come upon smooth pavement again.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

2 or***** stick or automatic? At what speed does it start to vibrate? Does it get worse if you brake or turn the steering from side to side?If its*****does it get better or worse in 4x4?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Gene,
I have a*****automatic. The vibration starts from a stand still when the truck begins to roll over repeating waves and bumps of the road itself. And it occurs when I'm driving at a consistent speed and then come upon the same wave and bump patterns that I described earlier. Perhaps I should mention that my ABS light has been on for a few weeks now as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gene, the shaking does increase in intensity if I increase my speed and even more so when the occurence of the road waves/bumps remains consistent.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

It starts from a standstill? Will it do it at idle n gear if you rev the engine and hold your foot on the brake? This is a very odd type of vibration. The abs light is on from the moment you start the vehicle or after driving a while it comes on? There is no issue with this on smooth pavement, are all the tires the same type and in good shape, good thread patterns?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ill be signing off for the evening in a few minutes, if you want to continue with me we can pick up tomorrow afternoon or I can opt out and allow another expert to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gene, the tires are at correct pressure and are in excellent shape. The ABS light comes on when the car is on and it remains lit until I turn the vehicle off. Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to further chat tomorrow afternoon
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Very good, just didnt want to leave you hanging. Ill chat you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The tires are all the same style, size and type and the thread pattern is still good and deep.
Ok, see you tomorrow, thanks