Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

The front passenger seat is stuck in a recline position. The

Customer Question

the front passenger seat is stuck in a recline position. The motor only moves seat upward about 1/4 inch. 2008 Expedition EL limited
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 142k auto transmission, My son laid it down and it will not return upright.
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition EL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have mechanical experience and a retired bodyman. I have located the motor on the outer upper frame. at this point only inspected was looking to see if something was jammed in the gear.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has power as the motor tries to move. All other seat functions work. Is there a bypass so we can get the seat upright and determine if it is a bad motor?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You could try taking the outer cover off of the motor and turning the worm gear by hand to get the seat up.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You should be able to find a used seat at a local junk yard and then you can swap the parts from your seat to the new one. like the seat back and cushion. You may need some hog ring pliers to swap over the cushion.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please Rate 5 stars. If you feel you need to rate less than that let me know so I can help more.

Thank you.