Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 1999 f250 superduty v10. Lately when I am driving

Customer Question

I have a 1999 f250 superduty v10. Lately when I am driving the gauges start going crazy. Today when I was driving the trans down shifted at 60mph. The rpm shot up to 4000 and then the truck stalled. Ever since I had the pcm changed the trans slips and hard shifts. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Are there any warning lights on, codes stored?

Monitoring the MAF, LOAD, and TP are any of them reading incorrect?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no lights on. I don't have a computer to check but I can take it to the shop that put in pcm and have them run it through.

Are you sure the correct PCM was installed?

Condition of the trans oil, color and odor?

When it stalled did it restart easily?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the correct pcm was installed. The trans oil is clean and no out of the ordinary odor. When stalls it starts back up quick and easy.

Which gears or shifts are having the most issues?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1st and second gear. My fuel pump relay is making a clicking noise as well don't know if that has anything to do with what's going on

As a vehicle is driven the PCM retains memory and makes changes to things so they work there best. When you disconnect the batteries or remove or replace the PCM. That memory is lost and has to relearn on its own. Sometimes that takes a long while and sometimes the computer sees things so far out of specs it just can not adjust.

If the transmission is slipping while in gear, that is not a computer related issue, it only affects the shifts. Slipping is going to be a concern within the transmission at the forward and intermediate clutch or a pressure related concern. I would have the transmission pressure tested and the clutches air tested to see if an overhaul is needed.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. If not please reply so we can resolve your issue together.

Thanks Chris