Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, 4wd, v6. It's been a great car

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Ford...
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, 4wd, v6. It's been a great car and just turned 200,000 miles. Within the last week, it seems the car has developed an electrical short. The horn will start honking in the middle of the night. While driving everything is fine, but all of a sudden it will say door's ajar on the dash and all the interior lights will come on. When getting out of the car and trying to lock it, the interior lights will stay on, like one of the doors are open, but there not. Sometimes the doors will lock and the lights will go out, but they will come back on after 5 or 10 seconds and drain the battery. Do you have any ideas what I can do?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I have checked most of the fuses. I just came back in to print out the fuses diagram. I have checked all the smaller fuses. All I have left are a few large fuses.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and nothing except checking the fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's about it. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
5/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, Im going to send you an attachment from ford, try the procedure to see if you can get the truck to settle down and behave.

5e9361f7-9564-4a18-b1c9-...PNG5e9361f...PNG7b866bc4-88e3-4d98-a599-...PNG7b866bc...PNGb39d3bea-9d1f-427c-b349-...PNGb39d3be...PNG34e4d93a-572f-48c8-ad80-...PNG34e4d93...PNG
I don't know my combination to be able to open the car. Is there another step to replace this?

let me tryto find one.

you can always call the dealer and give them your vin to get the unlock code. but i will still look

try disconnecting both battery cables and touching the terminal together for 30 seconds , then let them hang loose for 30 minutes before reconnecting. make sure they a very clean and very tight.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician