Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Broke a spark plug off in an '06 explorer 4.6l 3v head. The…

Broke a spark plug off...
Broke a spark plug off in an '06 explorer 4.6l 3v head. The problem is that it didn't break in any of the 3 normal methods but the plug actually broke off just below the nut head at the start of the threads. Now the entire threaded portion and the electrode are in the head. Is there a way to remove it without removing the head and sending it to a machine shop?
4/12/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

When it comes to removing the broken off spark plugs in any of the 4.6 or 5.4 motors you can go to many different online videos showing the different tools to get out the broken spark plug. Since you say you broke the nut and left the threads still in the hole then you would need to use a standard easy out to see if you can grab the inside of the plug and remove it. Do you still have part of the porcelain broke inside hole?

Here is a picture of a plug removed with an easy out. Is this the way your plug broke?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tV0MbGbhBQc/T8TlYamxTbI/AAAAAAAAAOI/_1xOVskWmqQ/s1600/IMAG0434.jpg

If you still cannot remove the pieces broke off then the head will need to be removed to get the pieces removed.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Thanks Jay,
Yes it broke just like the pic you sent but it is the type with the extension probe. The porcelain insert is still in it too so I'm not sure if I can punch that out enough to insert an easy out without pushing it into the cylinder???

You can drill out some of the porcelain and suck it out with a vacuum then use easy out. This is only way to do it without removing the head.

Jaybird61

Did you have any other questions for me?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61