Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Transmission is overheating, OD flashing, E4OD. Coolant is

Transmission is overheating, OD flashing...
Transmission is overheating, OD flashing, E4OD
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Coolant is fine. Yes i have.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 97 F250 7.3 2WD
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and no. Shop replace the shift lever and the overdrive button because it was broken. After that I tried taking off all the transmission lines hard and rubber to make sure they were clear and also make sure the radiator was clear at the auxilary cooler was clear and they all checked out good. Also it shop flush the transmission after none of that worked. And still overheating and flashing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
4/8/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

first, how did you determine it is overheating???

did you have the codes checked???

is the trans cooler in the radiator still hooked up???

Roy

I smelled something burning, I pulled over on the side of the highway seen some smoke out of my engine I looked underneath and in the torque converter area there was a bunch of fluid coming out and it was transmission fluid leaking all all on the side of the highway. That's when I took it to the shop and have them do the shift lever and everything because they thought it was stuck in total Hall
no I have not have the codes checked yet. I have a code reader but I don't think it reads transmission codes period I just have the overdrive blinking flashing off and on but after it seems to get hot.

ok, did they determine where the leak was from???

the flashing OD lights indicates a stored fault in the trans system. it is usually torque converter related.

They told me was coming from a overflow or some type of weep hole that's located in between the transmission and the engine by the torque put in a torque converter area

the front seal in the trans is where it is most likely coming from. there is no overflow in that area. the only overflow is at the top of the trans.

in the case of the torque converter leak, the trans will have to be removed, seal replaced, front bushing in the front pump replaced as well as the torque converter. this is a common problem for this issue.

please take a moment and rate my service. please hit 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Ok. Thanks.

thank you

your welcome

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest