Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2004 f250 power stroke. running down the road & it

Customer Question
started to sputter then died...
I have a 2004 f250 power stroke. running down the road & it started to sputter then died. won't restart. I believe its the lp fuel pump. is there a fuel switch also that I should check. Inertia switch is fine.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: think it the original
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. checked the inertia first. pump making a funny noise
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
4/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

You have DSL 6.0 liter correct ?

Have the fuel filter been replaced or serviced prior ?

Do you have Ford scan tool to retrieve fault codes ?

2004 Ford Truck F 250 4WD Super Duty V8-6.0L DSL Turbo VIN P

Save Article

DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM Electro-Hydraulic Injector

Zoom and Print Options

Electro-Hydaulic Injector, Part 1

Zoom and Print Options

Electro-Hydaulic Injector, Part 2

The electro-hydraulic injector is composed of three major components: The oil control, pressure amplification, and the nozzle assembly. The injector uses two 48-volt at 20-amp coils to control a spool valve that directs oil flow in and out of the injector. The fuel injector has a self-extracting hold-down clamp.

Electro-Hydraulic Injector Amplifier Piston
The high pressure oil flows from the oil rails into an electro-hydraulic injector amplifier piston located in the injector. Oil entry and exit to and from the amplifier piston is controlled by a coil-operated spool valve.

Electro-Hydraulic Injector Fuel Plunger
The electro-hydraulic injector fuel plunger is located in the injector and is driven by the amplifier piston. The fuel plunger injects fuel into the combustion chamber at pressures of up to 196,500 kPa (28,500 psi) through the nozzle assembly. Fuel is supplied to the injector at approximately 345 kPa (50 psi) through fuel rails in the cylinder heads.

Engine Timing
The PCM commands the fuel quantity. The FICM controls the duration of the injection event and is shown as parameter ID (PID) "FUELPW" on the scan tool.

The PCM controls the injection pressure and fuel volume by varying the injection oil pressure with the injection pressure regulator (IPR). The command to the IPR is a 12-volt, pulse width modulated (PWM) signal (controlled on the ground side).

The injection oil pressure command is shown as PID IPR which is the percentage ON of the pulse width modulated signal. Injection oil pressure is shown as PID ICP.

The PCM uses camshaft position (CMP) and crankshaft position (CKP) input signals to calculate engine speed and position. The PCM conditions both input signals and supplies the FICM with the CMP and CKP output signals. The FICM uses CMP and CKP output signals to determine the correct sequence for injector firing. The PCM sends information about the fuel demand, engine oil temperature (EOT) and injection control pressure (ICP) through CAN to the fuel injection control module (FICM). The FICM uses this information to calculate the injection cycle.

Fueling Corrections
The PCM adjusts injector output based on oil temperature information received from the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor and turbo boost information received from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor. These corrections are necessary to meet emissions requirements and to optimize power. The engine coolant temperature (ECT) and the EOT sensors are used as the primary input to the PCM to enable adaptive cooling. This provides a means of providing adequate cooling in severe engine temperature conditions. When ECT is greater than 105°C (221°F) or EOT is greater than 123°C (253°F), the fueling rate of the engine is modified to provide cooling protection and prevent engine damage due to overheating. Outputs of these sensors can be monitored using a scan tool reading PIDs.

Fuel Injection Control Module
The coil-operated spool valve requires 48 volts at up to 20 amps to operate. which is more power than the PCM can supply. Therefore, a high power device, the fuel injection control module (FICM), is used to supply power to the solenoid on command from the PCM.

Fuel System

Zoom and Print Options

Fuel System

Fuel is drawn from the fuel tank through the primary filter (located in the horizontal fuel conditioning module) by the electric fuel pump. Pressurized fuel, approximately 310-379 kPa (45-55 psi), is supplied to the secondary filter (the fuel filter housing located on the front left side of the engine) by means of the electric pump and regulator valve. The regulator relieves the pressure, sending fuel back to the fuel tank. Only the filtered fuel going through the fuel filter will go to the heads. A check valve is located on both heads to prevent fuel pressure spikes in the fuel rail.

High Pressure Oil System

Zoom and Print Options

High Pressure Oil System, Part 1

Zoom and Print Options

High Pressure Oil System, Part 2

The 6.0L Powerstroke diesel injectors are powered by lubricating oil which Is pressurized by a swashplate pump (Rexroth pump) in the engine valley. The pump output pressure ranges from 3,102 to 20,685 kPa (450 psi to 4,000 psi). Oil pressure is controlled by the PCM through the injector pressure regulator (IPR) valve. The PCM controls pressure in the oil rail by opening (relieving pressure) and closing (increasing pressure) the IPR valve. The high pressure oil is delivered to oil rails in the cylinder heads. An injection control pressure (ICP) sensor mounted on the high pressure pump cover sends an analog voltage signal (0.5V to 5.0V) to the PCM for feedback control of the oil pressure.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13851)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

fuel filter has been replaced
no fault codes showing
elec fuel pump does not sound like normal

I mean ,I m not next to it , but you have to start there, replacing electrical fuel pump ?,have you tried unplugging it and plug back in

what is the mileage and is the OEM one ?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician