Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Ford Mustang 6 cylinder driver side exhaust pipes from…

2000 Ford Mustang 6...

2000 Ford Mustang 6 cylinder driver side exhaust pipes from engine red hot

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

188,0000 wouldn't start originally bad fuel pump and control module

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Midas said replace iac done and clean tubes to egr and under manifold did that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I thought clogged catalytic they said those other things

4/2/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Are you looking for possible causes?

How does the engine run? Does it run good? Idle good and have plenty of power under a load?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Little rough idle and takes awhile to get going. Just like when you have a clogged catalytic converter.

Got it! Thank you for that information.

Would you like a test to check the converter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure, could coil pack cause hot pipes

IF the engine is misfiring, yes, absolutely. Any Ignition components could do this, leaking or restricted fuel injector or anything that can cause an engine misfire condition.

To check the converter, you can remove the front oxygen sensor and see if the engine runs any better. That is the easiest way to do this.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K thank you

Your welcome!!

Have a great night!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car exhaust getting red hot without front oxygen sensor

Hello and good morning!

Does the engine run any better with the front oxygen sensor removed?

Also, can I get the codes in the computer?

Based on my experience, this condition is caused by the engine running too rich too lean or the ignition timing is off for some reason. On these engine, the ignition timing would be affected by the camshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor synchronizer. I believe this is a small three wire sensor that sits on top of a drive gear towards the front of the engine. It is held in place by two very small bolts. Have you removed this sensor and taken a look yet? If not, this would be your next step. Sometimes the sensor or piece that spins around as the engine is running breaks off damaging the sensor causing this rough running condition you are talking about.

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's all in one piece. Hall Sensor with two screws looks fine. Codes are p0301 p0302 p0174 p01504. Misfire,misfire,fuel lean bank 2 and iac malfunction. Changed plugs and iac and wires.

Hello and thank you for the reply.

If the fuel system checks out good and there are no leaks, these codes are most likely caused by an air/vacuum leak. The most common place for a vacuum leak on this engine is the intake manifold gaskets.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took that off and cleaned ports gasket was fine.

Excellent.

Then you need to get the intake smoked checked for leaks.