Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 taurus, starter will not turn over with key, but will…

2006 taurus, starter will...

2006 taurus, starter will not turn over with key, but will when jumping the solenoid, but won't fire that way, got new relay still no help

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel turns key looks fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm working on it myself, had starter tested it is fine, battery is new, changed starter relay, engine cranks when solinoid is jumped directly but engine won't fire, I'm thinking something with security system

3/26/2017
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Is the red theft light flashing rapidly on the dash when you try to start the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only other things I can think of to try are a starter switch or nuetral safety switch

Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on?

Also, check fuses 7 and 27 in the engine bay fuse box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thinking security system because I leave the key in the on position and jump the solinoid to crank the engine but it won't fire

Does your Taurus have an aftermarket alarm on it besides the factory chip key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuses look good and check engine light comes on

But, does your Taurus have an aftermarket alarm added to it, with another red light lower on the drivers side of the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, no other red light

Do you have a test ;ight or digital multi meter to do a few electrical tests?

Ok. If you can reach the starter, check for power on the small wire at the starter while a helper tries to start the engine. We need to check the starting system backwards to find the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fluctuations between .02 and .05

Ok, not enough power. Should be 12 volts.

Next we need to go to the starter relay in the engine bay fuse box. Remove the starter relay and look at the relay. The pins are numbered on the bottom of the relay and there should be a diagram on the side of it. We need to check for power in the relay socket of the fuse box with the key held in the start position. You should get power on pins 87 and 85.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
11.75 on the 85, 0 on the 87

87 gets power from fuse 7 in the engine bay fuse box. Below is the wiring diagram for the circuits.

Make sure you have power to fuse 7 when the key is turned on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No power to either side of fuse 7 with key on

Make sure the wiring is good from the battery to the engine bay fuse box where it attaches to the fuse box by the 10 mm or 13mm nut. If that is good, you will have to check the mega fuse on the side of the fuse box. See the diagram below. Other wise, you will have to unbolt the fuse box, roll it it over and remove the bottom cover and inspect the wiring to the fuses.

Sorry, diagram below.

A. Penland
eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have 12.56 volts to fuse 7 now, but only 9.56 to #85 slot for starter relay when key is turned to start position

Fuse 7 feeds pin 87. Pin 85 comes through the transmission range sensor on top of the transmission. It will only allow the engine to start in neutral or park. Check the wiring connector to the transmission range sensor for corrosion. You should have 12 volt, battery voltage on pin 85.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok got 12 volts to # 7 fuse, 12 volts to both positions 87 and 85 at relay, still no power to small wire on starter, checked wiring under fuse box and in harness behind left headlight leading into fender all looks serviceable, some other symptoms related or other are don't hear fuel pump engage when key is turned on, car stereo powers up but no sound from speakers and obd2 port won't correspond with reader
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuses are good 12.65 at #16

Ok, I did find this trough a search on Fords website for technicians.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well unless someone snuck in and put something in it read codes fine a week ago haha, this auto electric stuff is so frustrating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also checked pin #10 at the range sensor for the no start issue, we get 12.28, can't seem to get voltage to the small wire at the starter though

I work on it every day at my dealership. The worst is when a vehicle fixes it self electrically and you cannot verify what fixed itself even though you did not repair, move or touch anything but the scan tool. Todays Fords are way over engineered software wise. They are rolling computer networks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree, I say we keep the illegal aliens and deport all the auto engineers haha

Below is a picture of the starting circuit on your 2006 Taurus. But if you cannot communicate with the PCM, then we have a separate issue. If the PCM is not responding, the vehicle will not start because the PCM is part of the starting circuit.

It controls the starter relay.

I have met a few Ford engineers. They have never been on my side of the vehicle. They graduate MIT and start designing vehicles. They have no idea how to fix them.

See below for the steps to check the PCM out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, I run heavy equipment in an open pit mine, and our engineers are the same way, they come up with the most difficult and backwards approaches to anything we do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I look at replacing the pcm ?

Look through the tests and check it out first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok tomorrow's project, thanks for your help and patience

No problem. It is either a wiring problem or a bad PCM.

A. Penland
A. Penland