Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ron, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. My question is how do you

Customer Question
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid...

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. My question is how do you trickle charge the batteries if you are going to leave the car for 6 months?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No to both questions

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

There is nothing wrong with the car now.. We will be leaving for the summer and In May and will not return until October. Last year when we left for 4 months the car would not start and we had To have Ford deal with it. I want to be able to leave the car on a trickle charger on the Starting batteryAnd I want to know if that is bad..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have to disconnect starting battery from car when trickle charging. What happens to big high voltage battery if left for 6 months?
3/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

You should be able to use a normal 12v battery trickle charger to keep the gas engine battery charged while you are gone. The hybrid battery should take care of itself once you return and begin driving the vehicle again. The gas engine may run a little longer than normal for a few days once you return the vehicle to service, but it will recharge the hybrid battery on its own.

The gas engine battery could be disconnected and put on the trickle charger by itself- that would be the most effective.

The hybrid battery will lose very little charge while the vehicle is sitting if the gas engine battery is disconnected and charged separately.