Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Oil pump needs to be primed?? 4.2 liter, 2005 f150 gasket

Oil pump needs to be...
Oil pump needs to be primed?? 4.2 liter
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 2005 f150 gasket was leaking. When I changed oil I replaced gasket. Had oil pressure on start up after a few miles no pressure
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Filled filter and put assembly lube on gears reinstalled no pressure
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I didnt realize it was the pump. The gasket was oil filter adapter plate. Once I pulled it i thoght no big deal? Familiar with this type of pump
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, you changed the oil filter adapter on a 4.2 engine? It had oil pressure before and now it doesnt? Is the engine making noise?

No the pump gasket is called an adapter plate gasket. 2005 4.2 liter I didnt realize it was the pump until I pulled it. Always had pressure. After drivind and seeing gauge go down pulled folter it was dry.
Filled filter after pulling pump and adding assembly lube no pressure

Ok the camshaft syncronizer drives the oil pump. Did you make sure the oil pump drive shaft is installed back in the oil pump when you dropped it? You can remove the distributor shaft syncronizer and make sure the hex shaft is in the pump and turning. You can also drive the shaft with a drill to see if it will build pressure. If you had it before this is where I would look before dropping the pan again.

Pan was never off

You said you dropped the engine oil pump, its in the pan on a 4.2 what did you replace to be clear?

2005 4.2 liter oil filter adapter gasket was replaced. New filter
Pump isn't in pan but is mounted on side of timing chain cover with filter on the end of it?
Jst so you know the pump is just 2 gears with ports positioned to import and export oil

The pump is still driven in the same manner. did you make sure the pump is hooked up to its driven gear. If you had oil pressure before, cranking the engine over should give you prime and oil pressure, If not. Id remove and inspect the pump for any damage and it moving freely. Replace the pump if needed.

Lubrication System

The engine lubrication system operates as follows:

• Oil is drawn into the oil pump through the oil pump screen cover and tube in the sump of the oil pan.
  • Oil is pumped through the oil filter on the left front side of the cylinder block.
  • Oil enters the main gallery where it is distributed to the crankshaft main journals and to the cylinder head.
  • From the main journals, the oil is routed through cross-drilled passages in the crankshaft to lubricate the connecting rod bearings. Controlled leakage through the crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings is slung radially outward to cool and lubricate the cylinder walls as well as the entire connecting rod, piston and piston ring assembly.
It's late now. I'm on my way to bed. If gasket has caused interference twice?????? On the end of pump there is a cover that looks like it can removed with 6mm hex key? I almost pulled it on initial operation. Should have just to see
Just out of shower. That's why I didn't pull cover when it was on bench I'll check link in a few.

No problem, ill be logging off until tomorrow late afternoon soon. If you disassemble the pump you could cause an issue with the pressure relief valve. Follow the attachment, check for straightness to mounting. If you need more help let me know. If I was helpful,please leave a positive rating.

I really think i may have gasket interference. Not enough time today. You'll get a good rating because of your expedience with my problem. Thanks
If it was in a shop with good lighting I'd still be on it. Could you try to get schematics of pump? I want to know if that is an external drive or filler hole that could be attached to a funnel. When pump was out first time I accidentally knocked it over and was suprised how much oil was in it. This was supposed to be quick n ez. Once again thanks

Thats the only photo it lists as shown in the attachment, You should probably pick up a new pump at this point since it had a loss of oil pressure.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
THANKS
Proper tourque specs. Is really all I needed.

Very good! Thank you!

I got tourque specs from " big brother "google"" NOT GOOD anyone can publish NE. Thing. Thanks fot great service

Hahaa yes, sometimes its great, sometimes not. You are welcome! Thank you for the bonus!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans