Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford econoline 1987 with 7,9 L motor sonetime after running…

Ford econoline 1987 with 7,9...
Ford econoline 1987 with 7,9 L motor sonetime after running a while when it is in need of power like clining a hill or against good wind the moror lacks power interminintly (sorry for my english)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The controler was chage lately and the carburator amd fuel pump last year
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry its a 7,5 liter motor
3/9/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is***** should replace the fuel filter at the carburetor first since they are very small for the amount of fuel going through it and see if power is improved?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All filters were replace last summer

If you have any sediment in the fuel tank it will get into this fuel filter. I still recommend replacing the filter and checking the fuel sample for any water in the fuel.

You can remove the filter and checked to see if it is clogged first from sediment from inside the fuel tank. You may want to put a large clear filter before the fuel pump on the engine to help filter the larger particles sine it will be easier to replace than the carburetor filter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im not a good nechanic but the pump is in the tank

My apologies. I just realized that Ford went to the in tank pump on this year. Forget what i said about the addition of the inline filter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would rhe EGr valve do that same symptoms since it would run well with no hesitation at all, running 50-55 mph and then would start some hesitation and its ben doing that occasionnaly sine last year but lately more frequently

The EGR even if it is wide open will not cause any issues on the the engine at the higher speeds. The problem sounds like you either have a clogged fuel filter or the fuel pressure and volume is not up to specifications from fuel tank pump.

Do you have single or dual fuel tanks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since im on the road far away from home ( actualy in Lake Havasu AZ ) and the problem seams like getting more often i have a single tank

Do you have any issues with spark knock or backfires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No that happened on the way down the engine stopped and a backfire sometime hapens but it was the controler that was in default when it was change a drove nearly a 100 miles and has a small hesitation once while climming an hill it didnt do it for a few days but lately more often

What controller are you talking about? The ignition control module?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a grey box on the driver side
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But those kind of lack of power or hesitation were there even before I had ignition control module replaced always climbing an hill or strong winds facing

Okay. You can try and replace the fuel filter but the backfires may have damaged the power valves in the the carburetor. Have you notices an increase in the fuel consumption?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not realy i eould have to look at my records

Okay then a hesitation or jerking on acceleration can be the fuel filter or the carburetor float adjustments. This is all I have at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tanks for your help

Try replacing filter and go from there.

Jaybird61
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed two fuel filter on the line under the truck and changed the air filter and troed it and is worst than before actualy i had an hard time getting over 50 mph the engine now not only jerks it fells more like it is before i could pressthe pedal and get a kind pf kickdown now if i do that it dies nearly

You are going to need to have the fuel pressure checked for proper pressure and volume to the carburetor. The catalyst should also be checked for excessive back pressure. Both of these could cause the loss of power. Both should be checked by a qualified mechanic with the proper tools.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have notice that the warmer the weather (sundy it was over 90 F) the more often is the lack of power and when i loosened my gas cap it did go up to 60 mph while jjust before i couldnt reach over 45! But the again while o was climbing a huge hill i was loosing constintly power

I still think you are not getting good fuel pressure and volume to the carburetor. Have pressure and volume checked. With the weather being warmer you need less fuel to get the same amount of power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The carburator filter and all the others on the fuel line were changed, and since it started heating since yesterday meaning temoerature went at the top of normal, the thermostatic fan was replaced being way too used according to the me hanic but after all this work it stills jerk at 50 and temp still high

You did not mention the temperature rising before. The problem sounds like a restriction in the exhaust. This would account for the loss of power and the temperature of the engine to go high. Have the exhaust catalyst and muffler checked for blockage. You will need an exhaust shop or dealer check for excessive back pressure indicating blockage in the exhaust.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61