Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Spark plug boot and spring blew out onto engine and engine…

Spark plug boot and spring...
Spark plug boot and spring blew out onto engine and engine made popping sound and now banging noise. Oil cap was not replaced after oil change ten days ago and I found it on the battery after the popping sound occurred . Are these related and what should I do
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Thanks for allowing me to help you for a much lower fee than a dealership.

.

Current miles and was it recently tuned up?

I assume the spark plug blew out as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris , thanks for responding . The spark plug is still in I think ?? Last tune up was November 25,000 miles ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have enough $ to call so I'll have to text , sorry. 1555,000 miles it's a F150 cult 5.4 triton
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
155,000 miles XLT5.4 triton

The reason I asked about the plug is because, it could've been installed incorrect and blew out and took the coil out with it. Running with a coil off just causes a misfire, not a noise like a plug blown out. Open the hood and run the engine and put you hand over the missing coil if there is smoke and air blowing out then the plug is gone and the source of the noise. The oil cap forgotten to be put back on is not related.

.

When you are ready, please make sure to rate the question and or say you are pleased with my help so the website will compensate me from your deposit. Rating does not close the question, prevent you or I from replying. It will also keep a post open forever rather than timing out in 7 days.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The coil is still there and tomorrow morning I'll check to see if the plug blew out too. Is the engine cooked?

So far, no the engine does not appear to be ruined. This concern is repairable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well Moose I hope your right ! These things seem to happen when I can least afford it . Thank you so much!!! I guess I'll just put it a new spark plug . And get a new coil. If that works I'll call you and pay the &26.00 just to thank uou

If the plug did blow out, it has likely brought the threads with it and a helicoil kit thread insert will be needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok a couple months ago a friend of mine changed that plug and had a hell of a time getting it back in . The plug cylinder came out with the plug . Related?

This plug could of been cross threaded or over or under torqued causing it to blow out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . I don't want to waste anymore of your time. Thank you your a champ. If it wasn't so late I'd go out and try to fix it . I'll definitely let you know how I make out . Thanks again Rick

Thanks Rick

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician