Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have just replaced the lower suspension arms and drop

Hi I have just replaced...
Hi I have just replaced the lower suspension arms and drop links in my 2007 FWD transit (BG57WUK). Having refitted the wheels and removed the axel stands I now have no drive. Could I have disturbed the drive shafts or has the clutch failed. How can I check?
2/17/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. when replacing the control arms you would have had to remove the front halfshafts from the hub assemclies and probably didnt reseat them enough back into the transaxle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, didn't remove control arms or half shafts. Just replaced the lower suspension wishbones. Undid the two securing bolts and removed wishbone from the hub steering knuckle. Nothing else removed. Although the half shafts could have been disturbed.

thats the only thing that could have happened. it drove fine beforehand, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David, thanks for quick response. Yes. No issues but 150k on clock now. Maybe conincidence - need to check. How can I tell if half shafts are not properly seated. Would have that that with new wishbones in place, anything not properly seated would be obvious... what should I do?

you will be able to tell by looking where they go into the transaxle. the inner joint should be fully up against the side of the transaxle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'll put it back on the stands and have a look. Will get back to you later

ok, Im sure you will find the issue. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. ill leave this open in case you have further questions. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dave, just had a look N/S seems ok but no rotation on shaft when in gear and engine running. O/S gator near hub is pulled back and shaft is rotating but is not connected to hub. How can I reseat and would this affect the N/S?

you need to disconnect the steering knuckle and pull the outside cv back out of the hub inspect the splines and then reseat it back into the hub. is that what you are asking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will finish coffee and give it a go. Thanks Dave.

you're welcome. please dont forget to rate me. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well Dave, shaft reseated following your advice - drivers wheel has drive as does passenger side. Odd thing is passenger side wheel can be stopped by hand when in gear and on stands. Is this normal?

very normal. the other side is the "drive " side.

glad you got her my friend.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic