Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How can I make a 2002 Ford Expedition XLT suspension feel…

How can I make a...
How can I make a 2002 Ford Expedition XLT suspension feel more stiff like that of the 2002 Ford F-150 Fx4? I essentially want to turn my Expedition into the Fx4 model ford never made, like my old F-150.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would also like to be as accurate to the old Fx4 as I could be, using Rancho suspension and OEM parts if possible.
2/15/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** shocks will not make it more stiff, they just act as a dampner, to stiffen it up and add height, you will need to replace the springs, have you addressed this yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have, an issue is that I'm having trouble finding stiffer springs for it. Not a fan of Moog products and the only other option seems to be Ford OEM but being the 4wd it should have the "HD" springs already.

you best bet is to find a local spring shop, and they can make a custom set, they are also usually cheaper then dealer shops, for the rear, since you should have air springs on the rear, there is a company called Arnott industries, they sell the springs to replace the air springs, and these will stiffen it up lot, most of the softness you are feeling is from the rear air springs, as this was designed to make the ride softer,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oddly enough my year and model Expedition is one of the few without air in the rear. It's just a good old coil spring and strut.

then yu simply replace it with one from a FX4

Please dont forget to rate me, so I cn get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH