Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do I reprime my fuel injectors on my 2001 Ford windstar,

How do I reprime my...
How do I reprime my fuel injectors on my 2001 Ford windstar
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Windstar. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I changed my fuel filter and now my 2001 windstar won't start
2/1/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

If I'm not mistaken, the prime the system you should just have to cycle the key forward to the on position the back to off position a few times and then start the vehicle since the vehicle is fuel injected. You may need to press the bleeder valve on the fuel rail in while doing this. I will check the system in just a second, but I would like to know if you hear the fuel pump engage when the key is turn to the on position.

Here are instructions for the fuel filter replacement. It is pretty straight forward. Question... Is it possible that you may have the filter in backwards? There should be an arrow on the filter pointing in the direction of fuel flow. This arrow should be pointing towards the motor.

Here is your original request...

If you have any further question on this issue, feel free to ask. If that will be all, and you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

The fuel pump is working properly the fuel filter is installed properly yet it will not fire and run, it was running prior to replacing the fuel filter.. I'm dumbfounded
I cannot afford more than the 28'00 $ I paid to ask the first two questions but ice appreciate any input you could add on this matter

Have you check to see if you are get fuel to the motor? The valve on the fuel rail would to test for this.

Don't worry. I'm here. Just downloading a couple of diagrams for you. Have you check the fuses?

the bleeder on the fuel rail posses gas
Not posses gas it bleeds properly

Ok, so I'm assuming there is a fuse for the fuel injectors. Give me a moment to locate this.

Let me get an understanding, please. Is the fuel at the valve or is there no fuel at the valve?

No haven't checked any fuses

I would check all the fuses, but I would start with fuse #5 and the fuel pump relay,

No blown fuses relay is fine pump working good still will not start

Your next step is to check the fuel pressure. If the pressure is good, I would then suspect the injectors. Get some starter fluid and spray a little into the throttle body and see if the vehicle starts.

I have done that prior to contacting you, I used to turn wrenches in ALASKA but this thing is just blowing my mind
Any other suggestions,or should I tow it out the road and use it for target pratice

When I say test the pressure, I mean to actually put a pressure gauge on the valve. Even though the fuel is making it to the valve, you may not have enough pressure to start the vehicle.... The fuel injectors are controlled by the PCM. I would not likely suspect the PCM, but it is a possibility. I'm providing a diagram to you for this.. The only other suggestion I can make is to check for spark. If neither of these things are the issue then I would have to advise you to have the vehicle taken to your local automotive service shop. Sounds like your issue may be bigger than just fuel or spark.

Is it possible my current fuel pump is working only half pass? Prior to replacing the fuel filter the van was running like crap, no get up and go,like it was starving for fule,,i brought a new fuel pump but was hopping just maybe I could get away with replacing the fuel filter,

The fuel pump could definitely be pumping at a lower psi than it should, causing the vehicle not to start. That's why I ask did you test the pressure.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
I just got a MAC pressure tester I will check the pressure tomarow and go from ther
I'm quite satisfied with the service that you and this site provided,thank you for your help in getting me going in the right direction

Any time. I hope you get your issue solved. Thank you for the rating.

AND Thank you for the very generous bonus.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician