Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1996 Ford F150 Eddie Baur. It came with this anit

Customer Question
theft key switch. When you...
I have a 1996 Ford F150 Eddie Baur. It came with this anit theft key switch. When you park the truck and turn tthis little key and take it out it prevent the ignition from starting. After year it finally fell out. How can I by pass it. It has 1 large red wire, 1 large white wire, one small red wire, 1 small black wire.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's manual and I push it and jump in and pop the clutch to start it
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I open the switch up and it parts came out. but still wired. Lights come on and everything. But it will not turn over
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I can just cut wire and by pass it that would be great. Don't think I can find a new switch like it. the key that goes in it, looks like a soda machine key, but smaller
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
1/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is***** can just jump the red and white large wires to together and it should crank. I would recommend you trace the wires back to where they cut the starter wire at the ignition switch and reconnect the wire they cut back together. If there is a module involved then you can just go to the harness and just reconnect each wire they cut and spliced in to. If you have the name of the system then a wire diagram may be able to be found. These are the most simple bypass designs.

Outstanding Technician Jaybird61, quick response was needed and that is what I got. Thank you Jaybird61

Please rate my answer 5 STARS so I can get credit for helping you. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61