david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 03 mustang gt, which is in storage, but I start it

Hi, I have a 03 mustang gt, which is in storage, but I start it at least once a month.. I locked my keys in the car about a month ago,
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: Sorry, wasn't done yet. As said, I locked the keys that I normally use in the car, but opened it with my spare. I don't remember if I opened it remotely or at the drivers side door handle. Anyway I went to start the cart yesterday with the spare key but it wont start. It just cranks. What could be the problem. I can smell fuel
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I tried starting with keys, till my battery went dead. The theft light just blinks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just how can I reset or reprogram my keys

Hi Im David, when you start the car, what does the security light do?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it just blinks

The only thing you can do is have it towed to the ford dealership and have the PATS system reset. unfortunately there is no bypassing it or other way to deactivate it. thats what ford intended when they designed the stystem when a strange or different key is used.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
even with the spare that came with the car when I bought it?

do you have a key fob with both keys?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is that the remote type?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is that the remote type? if so yes

ok. you can try to reprogram the keyfobs

ill send you instruction in a few minutes

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, thanks

try this

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, thanks
I did. Still cranks but wont start I can smell fuel

light still blinks?

are you there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi David. I tried to run a diagnostics using my diablo predator tuner, but my battery was to weak. I'm trying to charge it now and see what the read out is

ok, well please let me know what it tells you..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It shows codes P602 and P605

ok, thanks

the pcm is faulting as being internally damaged.

P0605 FORD - Internal Control Module Read Only Memory Error Possible causes An attempt was made to change the calibration Module programming error Aftermarket performance products Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM) PCM harness power supply circuit is open or shorted PCM harness ground circuit is open or shorted
P0602 FORD - Powertrain Control Module Programming Error Possible causes Powertrain Control Module (PCM) not programed PCM program Faulty PCM Wrong PCM Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0602 Ford Description This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) indicates a programming error within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

can i be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I got it fixed.
I used my diablo performance tuner and put my original (stock) tune back in. Started right up.
I guess when I used my spare key to open the doors it didn't sync with the PATs.
Thanks for your help

excellent news. im glad its fixed. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you. have a great weekend. good job.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.