Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2009 escape 3.0. It is hard to crank over, so hard it smoked

Customer Question
the starter after front...
2009 escape 3.0. It is hard to crank over, so hard it smoked the starter after front end collition. It got pretty hot trying to get it home. I am wondering if the engine is bad
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 175000 lost coolant. The wreck trashed the radiator. I replaced the radiator and charged the battery. It cranks hard like the battery is low then the starter started smokeing
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix. Can't afford to take it to anyone. We pulled the core support out straight and replaced radiator. Actted like battery was dead, charged battery all night. That's when I smoked the starter. What scares me is how hard cranking it is. It got pretty hot driving home after wreck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm wondering if I got it to hot and locked the engine
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
1/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is***** have to say that running the engine without coolant in the engine and overheating it most likely caused the engine to seize up the bearings inside the motor and cause the cams to seize. The engine may need to be replaced if it was overheated that bad. Check the engine oil to see if it smells burnt. I would recommend having a mechanic come to yu and verify the engine is fried before putting any more parts on the vehicle.

Please accept answer and rate my answer 5 stars. Thanks.

If you have no other questions then Please accept answer and rate my answer 5 stars. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61