Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2012 Ford Fiesta won't start. Battery checks out OK, 12.1

Customer Question
volts. The red anti-theft light...
2012 Ford Fiesta won't start. Battery checks out OK, 12.1 volts. The red anti-theft light is blinking.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: What fuses? Lights work, everything works, just refuses to start. How do you reset the computer?
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I found a similar problem with the Ford Focus on the Internet and the solution was cleaning up a bad ground. I tried that, but it didn't help. I had some car insurance guys come by to assist (it was pouring rain) and they were able to short something under the hood to get it started, but told me I would have to take it to Ford to have it fixed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not much more I can add.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
1/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

If the red anti-theft light is flashing then there is a security issue. If you have a spare key try it.

If not, you are going to have to diagnose what is causing the security system to think it's the wrong key.

One second and let me see if I can find the troubleshooting procedure for that.

I have a spare key, but it's not the remote type. It doesn't work either. I did successfully start the car one time the following day, but not since.

Does this have an intelligent key?

So it is an intelligent key. One second

The type of key that you place inside the vehicle. Looks like this.

or is it his type, Identifying Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Key

Actually, the key doesn't look like either of those keys. The key I have is rectangular, with buttons on for remotely opening/locking the car and another button that releases a key from the side, like a switchblade knife.It seems like this is going to be something I can't fix myself. I was hoping there might be a simple solution, like disconnecting the anti-theft mechanism.

Both [procedures are here so depending on which type of key it is, follow the proper procedure for troubleshooting it.

OK. This is beyond my skill set. I'll just have to let the Ford mechanics deal with it. Just a note, maybe my car is different since I purchased it in Thailand. We received two keys with the car, but only one of them is remote capable. Neither key looks like either of the keys in the images you sent. The second key is a standard issue mechanical key, without remote capability.

Yeah, I missed that. I see now it does say Thailand.

Oh well, good luck anyhow.

Sorry. I thought it was implied in your last response that no answer was necessary. A mechanic is supposed to be visiting us today.

ok

Why do I keep receiving emails from you asking me to respond? This topic is closed. The answers provided were of no help to me. I hope I've made this clear.

You have now.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician