Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Change battery and starter everything goes on but wont

change battery and starter everything goes on but wont syart
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 500 limited
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: battery starter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just everything else works

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you seeing a theft or security fault message at all?

Do you hear the starter click at all or any other clicking when trying to start it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We don't hear any clicking but radio and lights are on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where is that at
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They don't see anything like that
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would like to know what we should do now

I apologize for the delay.

Usually this is near the gauges and comes on with the battery light with key on and it should either go out after a few seconds or right away with the key on.If it blinks or stays on this can indicate a security component at fault on your vehicle needing replaced.I have seen security components fail like this here before.If you do not see this light stay on or flash (it may say "security ", "theft" or a picture of a car with a lock across it) let me know what liter engine is in your model here so we can check some more things.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if that is it what do i have to do
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i now its a v6

O.k.,in your battery junction box fuse panel there is a starter relay.If this relay is faulty this will cause this issue here.This relay should click when the key is held in the start position.If it is not clicking then the signals need tested to it to see if it needs replaced for sure.If you have a multi meter to test signals with I can try and walk you through this testing just let me know.If this was already replaced let me know as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no to both

Just to be sure the relay hasnt been replaced and it isnt clicking?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no did no re[lace the relay

Try tapping on it at the same time someone else is trying to start it and see if it cranks and starts then.If it does then the relay needs replaced.In some cases this works.In others the signals to the relay need tested to verify it needs replaced.You can also take a chance and replace it.I believe its less then $30.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will have to wait till later to ck

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will come on later if i need more info tks

Your welcome