Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

99 for explover will crank, but will not start. Fuel pump is

Customer Question

99 for explover will crank, but will not start. Fuel pump is working. Previously this problem was corrected by inserting the key in the driver's door, turning it the full range, then the truck would start. Computer says ect sensor is bad.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Same in park or neutral. There is a 4wd wheel lock.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked cam sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

If you just turn the key to the ON position, What does the anti theft light do? does it go out after about 2 seconds? or does it stay on? or does it blink fast? Let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

When I turn the key to on without cranking, it lights solid for about 2 seconds, then goes out.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, that is normal and what it is supposed to do. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge we could check fuel pressure by chance? What about if you spray some starting fluid in the air intake? If it will run for a second or two with starting fluid, that would be a sign fuel pressure is lacking. Do you know how to check for spark at any spark plug? I would like to see if spark is available and if the engine has fuel pressure or not.