Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

2010 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with 92K miles. Running

Customer Question

Hi. 2010 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with 92K miles. Running perfectly, then with no warning violent shaking and engine light came on. Towed to local repair place I trust. Said no compression in one cylinder and 20% in another. Recommended new engine. Thoughts? Thanks!
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: It did not completely stall. I nursed it to place To get off the road. They did run other tests...don't recall if they said anything about the trouble code.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Deciding whether to have them replace, take to my dealer for another opinion or just trade in.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

It sounds as if the timing chain could have slipped to me. Especially if it is a 4.0L. With no compression on one cylinder and another one affected as well, it's definitely internal engine if what they are telling you is 100% accurate. The 4.0L's were bad to throw a timing chain and cause compression loss. It's possible maybe the harmonic balancer came apart or came off the front of the engine and caused that major violent shaking, but that still doesn't explain the compression loss, I would also make sure it was full of oil and for some reason the engine didn't lose all oil pressure previously to having this problem.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

I would ask them if they thought it was a timing chain, an oil pressure issue, or if the harmonic balancer came apart or failed in any way. As far as putting an engine in it, it depends on if you really want to keep it or not and if there were no problems with the truck before this. If it's in great shape, and this shop can give you a fair price on a replacement engine I may fix it. As if you trade it you will likely not get a good trade in price with the condition it is in now, please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I thought I would follow up with you. What is the latest on the problem. Thank you.