Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I am having issues with my 2001 Ford Taurus. I can start

Customer Question

I am having issues with my 2001 Ford Taurus . I can start with the remote and it will start fine and have parking lights on etc
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: When I start the car it is supposed to have parking lights and headlights come on . They do if I use the remote ,,,but ,, I have to turn on parking lights inside car to get the heater , windows, dash lights and dome lights to work .
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to check the fuses but am thrown off as to which one would help . I can't find any bad fuses . If you put your key in and foot on the brake the brake it seems to over ride the system and the things that I listed as woking while parking lights were on no longer work .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh , I thought you were the mechanic?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not sure that the full scope of what I have done has been conversed. I thought I was talking the the mechanic and could bounce ideas and questions off of them to solve my problem . Then I get whisked away and asked for my card and then to sign up for some membership . All of this is very misleading .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is that $26 on top of the $5 and the $23 ?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Yes sir it is.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

I am a little confused on what exactly is going on. Can you explain a bit more about this starting issue?

Does it crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My car starts fine with a remote. Parking lights etc all come on, but when I open my door I notice that the dome light does not come on and dash lights don't work and power windows don't work etc . If I manually put the parking light switch on the above items work. Now when I put the key in and move it to the run position and step on the brakes ,, all of those items stop working again . But the car does stay running and I have no tail lights at that time. The brake lights work as well as the head lights but other items stop .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Does the engine start normal when using the key in the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It starts normal but the other items do not work ,, windows , dome light heater fan tail lights etc
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, let me do some digging for you.

May I get your VIN?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK,, it will be a few minutes as I have to let the dogs out . They are in the garage that the car is in and they have not been out yet . I will get VN and bring it back in .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good no problem..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1FAFP55291A257303
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

Does this vehicle have auto or manual air? (digital display?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Automatic, AIr Conditioning and NOT a Digital dash
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Have you checked all fuses?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't see any blown fuses ....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wasn't sure if I should double check any in particular .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Ok is it the parking lights that are not working? Is it just in the rear? Do the parking lights work in the front of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I use the remote start,, All of the outside lights come on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
However ,,The power windows , dome light and heater fan don't come on until I turn the parking lights on inside the car.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are already on on the outside of the car but for those items to work inside the car ,I have to turn on the parking lights manually.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone? I can lower the price down to $10 bucks.

Given the complex issue of this electrical condition, it is not going to be simple diagnoses.

Once you accept my offer, we can chat on the phone over the course of several days until we get to the bottom of the problem. You will need to do some testing and then call me back with the test results.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nah , I have to get my kid to soccer practice . So a call right now would be useless . I am probably going to have to take it somewhere and have them look at it . Cause , I work 6 days a week with 12 hour days so my time is limited on what I can do . Was hoping there was a reset on the remote or that maybe it was a headlight switch but or something that you guys have dealt with before . But it doesn't look like we will be able to figure this one out this time.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

We dont have to speak on the phone right now. It can be at a later time or day.

If you would rather skip the phone call. I can leave this open for other experts?

Just let me know!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You can leave it open but I have two vehicles that I can drive to work and both of them are having problems. My brake line blew out on my Ford Excursion so I am thinking it will be the easier fix . I have to get back to work tomorrow . I don't get a lot of phone time and most of the time it is easier to text or email any updates because I have short bursts of time to use wisely .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 months ago.

Sound good!

Good luck!!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You have a relay that controls those functions called a accessory delay relay. When it acts up, it will cut off those circuits tht yu are mentioning until it gets a surge of power need, like flipping the parking lights on.

CLICK HERE for the relay location. Swap it out with a new relay (they average about $5 to 10 at the parts stores) and see if it resolves the issue you have. When I get vehicles in the shop with the complaints you have, I typically swap that relay and the issue subsides.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That did NOT solve my problem. I bought 2 switches. I put one into the marked/suggested position. I took the other one and inserted it into what I believe is the remote start box. It is just strange that the car starts with the remote Start and parking lights work fine. With the car started with the remote and the headlight switch not engaged, all of the accessories dome light, power windows,heat etc do no work. There is a slight buzzing noise located under the dash with the car running. However if I turn the light switch to parking lights the buzz disappears and the accessories work like they are supposed to. Now that is when the car is started with the remote. Following same procedure starting with remote and putting the key in to let the system take over from remote start . as soon as I put my foot on the brake all of the accessories die out again. The parking lights also dissapear.at this point. now if I take the key and I start the vehicle with just the key I do not have any of my accessories and turning the parking light switch on does not help either, this includes not having tail lights
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My problem has not been solved.