Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Will not come out of park, No code and have brake lights,

Customer Question
Will not come out of...
Will not come out of park
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: No code and have brake lights
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Ford Taurus se
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuses took battery off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, when you start the car and put your foot on the brake, can you hear a clicking down by the shifter lever?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will not connect to this site error in web site
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just will not shift out of park
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there

ok, if this is a floor shift, there is a small square plastic cover by the shift lever. remove it and stick a small thin screwdriver or pen in the hole to release the interlock

just because i dont get back to you in 2 minutes means i am working on your problem. thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Put the screwdriver in what plastic square piece

standby, i get you a pic.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the shifter so I can see it

you can see the plastic square? if not then your vehicle doesnt have the access panel and the entire center console will need to come out and the shift interlock mechanism released manually. you did say that the brake lights are working?

remove their floor console, just lift up the center console lid. And then starting by the cup holder, pry both sides of the plastic console base. It will pop right up. The rear section has to be removed first. Now the front section, complete with ashtray, can be removed by prying with a screwdriver along both sides of the ashtray. You can now access the shifter base.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician