AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Horn does not work, 2003 ford escort zx2, Yes. I have

Customer Question

Horn does not work
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 ford escort zx2
JA: Are you fixing your Escort ZX2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have checked the fuse and it is fine. When I push the horn on the steering wheel I can hear the clicking.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: I did not think this model of ford had two fuse panels. I found the one under the dash on the drivers side and then there is a relay box under the hood but there is no horn relay in there
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Start by checking the 15 amp horn fuse in the central junction box. If this checks out good, be sure the horn relay is good and has two powers going to it. If so, then it could be a faulty horn pad in the steering wheel and or a wiring issue to or from the horn or relay (or possibly a bad horn)

The clicking you are hearing is likley the relay working. This means there is most likley power down at the horn and the horn is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of the horn circuit.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if the horn is bad where is it located and how do I get to it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

The horn is located near the front of the vehicle by the front bumper on the drivers side.

Here is the removal and replacement procedure.

HORN

REMOVAL

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Raise and support the vehicle.

Disconnect the horn electrical connector.

Remove the horn bolt and the horn.

INSTALLATION

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do I have to remove the bumper to get to the horn or is there another way, if I jack it up can I get to it from underneath
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

YES, you can get it from underneath.

YES, jacking up the vehicle or putting the vehicle on the lift will make it easier to remove and replace the horn.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello itsCustomer

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, let me know! I will be happy to help!

Customer/p>