Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master tech
84635724

I have a manual focus Ghia 2.0 and the check engine light

Customer Question

I have a manual focus Ghia 2.0 and the check engine light came on when I entered into 3rd gear. I've been having trouble getting into first and reverse gear first thing in the morning.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It blinks and now it's on
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2002 Ghia
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've just pulled in to a supermarket and I'm waiting on the AA The gears are working fine now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mastertechuk replied 9 months ago.

Hi im kevin is car manual or auto ? Any loss of power ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Manual no loss of power
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any thoughts?

Ok if its manual the engine management light will be unrelated to the clutch issues .the engine management light can come on for many reasons if theres no loss of power or obvious sympthoms its likely an emmissions related issue .the aa shouldgive you fault codes from diagnostic check.the clutch issue will be seperate .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok but what would be the issue with the clutch?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It seems to get better as the car warms up all the fluid levels are good.

Does pedal feel normal when it occurrs ?has clutch ever been replaced ?how many miles have you done ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Done 122000 miles, pedal feels normal just won't shift into gear at first.

It sounds like mabye fluid needs changing and as you pump pedal it improves .i would have fluid changed first as its the cheapest option if not is suspect clutch pressure plate is weak causing clutch not to clear fully meaning clutch replacement will be needed

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hopefullly it's not a clutch replacement. You're talking about the clutch/brake fluid that might need to be changed?

Correct the clutch fliud is brake fluid which is hydroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture .this over a period of time degrades fluid

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all