Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 96 probe gt i just bought and its got a 301 code

Customer Question

i have a 96 probe gt i just bought and its got a 301 code thats the only code which is #1 cylinder has miss fire. ive changed the plug plug wire checked distributer for exsese were and cracks have done a comprestion check but for just the #1 cylinder which bumped up to 120 think by the third compression strokethen stopped at like 145? just did a vacuum check at idle its right at 20 h whatever and bearly moves give it throttle and it goes to 0 then 5 above the 20 and rest back at 20 any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Do you have good spark at the cylinder?

Is this the 2.0 engine?

Is the misfire constant or dose it come and go?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you it looks to be about the same as the spark on #5 cylinder and its the v6 and the misfire is always the same i can pull every spark pug wire one at a time and the only one that makes no differance is the number 1 cylinder
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that was my first compression check ive ever done so you know
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The cylinder should fire okay at 120 PSI, if you are sure you have good spark and the compression checks okay then the next steps would be to try swapping the #1 injector with the #2 and see if the misfire moves. If it dose then your dealing with a bad injector. The 2.5 has had some issue with failing injectors as well. Before you do anything else, try swapping the injectors.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
was reading up on how to check resistance on the fuel injection but i no im getting fuel based on starting motor with plug wire off then pull plug its wet with plug wire on its dry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok i will person i got it from said it was a wire but i noticed that there was a fuel rail in the back of car so ive got to get to work and be back in few hrs i hope and will try the injecter thing will let you know thank youhope your still on when i get back thanks again ron
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

You can check the resistance with an Ohm meter at the injector, it should be right at 12 to 16 ohms. That being said its not always a good test if the injector is restricted. You can also take a standard 12 volt test light and at the injector connector (pluged in) place the test end of the light on one wire and the ground in on the other wire and start the engine. If you have injector pulse the test light should flash.