Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Focus 2006 ZXW SES. Running lights, dashboard

Customer Question
backlights, and license plates lights...
Ford Focus 2006 ZXW SES. Running lights, dashboard backlights, and license plates lights out. Checked alternator pigtail out using odo gage test and getting healthy 14.7 alt test read out. Checked for cracked wires in hatch umbilical and all OK. All fuses intact. All other lamps: turn lft/rt (frt, side, rear), brake (lft/rt/upper hatch ctr), headlamps, emergency, interior head and rear hatch all working. How next to isolate the problem.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
Lights that won't energize have been replaced or tested for function and all are capable of activation. Ground shorts have been tested and eliminated.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

DO you have a volt meter and understand wire diagrams?

I want written instructions for the fault isolation.

Here is your wire diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/park1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/park2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/park3.pdf

Step one, at the headlight switch can you confirm the orange/yellow and orange/white wires to the same pin number in the connector have power with the headlight switch in park or head?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

It is cold and dark here in N. California. So won't pull panels to access connections with DMM until tomorrow but when using factory dial there is no lights on park but head OK.

No problem, report back tomorrow when ready.

OK Panels off and head/park switch out. On terminal plug I get 12v dc on og/ye and 0v dc on og/wh

Since your not getting these results https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/mainlight.png The first issue is the head light switch is bad. Unknown yet if there are wiring issues beyond the switch.

Moose-my bad.....in haste I tested pin 9 and 16. Testing female pin 13 (to 58L/R on male con) and female pin 16 (to 58 on male con) I get 0v dc? They both should be hot? How does that result in bad head/park dimmer switch?

When the headlights are on, the switch powers these wires to illuminate the lamps you're not getting to turn on.

OK I'm not too smart but if I DMM test the female connector w/o the switch inline how does that result in test of switch?

The switch is plugged up in this test. You are wanting to see if the switch is closing the internal contacts and using the power it is getting in and sending it back out on the different circuits. You push your meter probe in beside the wire to contact the end of the wire in the connector or push a paper clip in there so you can touch your meter probe to it.

OK I just installed the switch and tested pins 13 and 16 in park and head and got the 0 v dc reading. I have to order a replacement. Can you advise if ebay is good source? Looking at a switch listed at $19.99 at http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-Ford-Focus-Headlight-Lamp-Switch-Genuine-OEM-4S4T13A024/132004615062?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3De3c3632f37a74d85bffda47c05c31cd7%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D252521004836
It is listed for the 2006 ZXW SES wagon

Your guess is as good as mine on buying a used switch from ebay. We have all bought something used that turned out to be great and something that turned out to be a lemon.

One other test if you want is to use a paper clip and use the connector diagram. Connector plugged up or not. Jump from pin 11 to 13 then from 11 to 16 and verify the lights work.

0 v dc on pin 11
I just noticed R21 fuse for running lights is missing.
Fuse #30 was blown. Pin 11 now 12v dc. Culprit was the rear license plate bulb. When it shorted it blew the fuse.

That is odd you still had headlights with the fuse blown, I thought the only issue was the parking and interior lights.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician