Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How can I reset my airbag codes on my 2006 focus zxw. I need

Customer Question
How can I reset my...
How can I reset my airbag codes on my 2006 focus zxw. I need to track down where the problem comes from. Thanks.
JA: Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This problem started when I would beep the horn, then it would go away. Then I had a minor rear-ender that set off the charge in the seat belt retractor. I got a used one on ebay and replaced it. I have also unplugged and re-plugged various connections, and I have a new clock spring (which Dornan says may have defects), but I haven't replaced it yet. I need to see if I can reset the codes to go from there.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The code and or codes can not be reset until the reason for them setting is resolved. What are the code and or codes your getting and what have you done to resolve them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't get codes. The air bag light is on. When this first started (when I would beep the horn sometimes), I could take off the battery terminal, and the air bag light would go off - or sometimes if I beeped the horn. Then I got in this minor rear-ender and though the airbag didn't inflate, the set belt retractor charge went off, so I replaced it. I need to know where to go from here. I have redone the contacts in various places which people suggest doing, but I also have heard I need to reset the airbag code, and I don't know how.

If the air bag light is coming on then that means the system is setting a fault code, the next step is going to be to scan the system to retrieve the code. You will need a full scan tool to do this, a code reader will not work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your wanting to help me step by step, but I am not working on it now. It is 12 degrees out in my garage right now. I don't know if we can continue this later. I am brand new to this asknow thing.

We can continue when its a good time for you. The post remains open as long as you need me. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you quickly tell me how to make sure I get back to this thread later? I am certainly not new to fixing my on cars, but am very new to what we are doing now. Thank you, Ron

All you need to do is bookmark this page. That will return you back to this post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** apologize for not being more prepared. I will talk to you again.

No problem, stay warm and we can work on this when your ready.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician