How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Edward Your Own Question
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 3136
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Edward is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired 65 year old man my catalytic converter is

Customer Question

I am a retired 65 year old man my catalytic converter is ploged up, I do not have $1,200 to buy a new one, is there any thing I can do so I can drive it here in montana
JA: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?
Customer: what do u mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: what is scoped out?
JA: What year is your Montana?
Customer: 2003 taures
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a shop and they told me it had to be replased
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I heard if you put a hole in the converter the car well run.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Is the problem the car won't really run well at all and the converter is stopped up? or is the problem that the check engine light is on? let me know, thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The converter is cloged
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, you could take out the front O2 sensor, that goes in before the catalytic converter and it might help a little, but the check engine light would probably come on, My advice is to go to a muffler shop or exhaust speciality shop. They should be able to replace that for at least 1/2 of that 1200$ number you mentioned. Removing the front o2 sensor would make it sound like it needed a new muffler as well, but it would allow you to drive the vehicle some before you got the converter replaced. Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge, as if the exhaust is restricted, it does tend to make a vehicle run hot and more likely to overheat. Try to drive it as easy as you can. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello, thought I would follow up with you. Did you try to take out that 02 sensor and see if it helped? or call around to some muffler shops to price the converter by chance? Thank you.