How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Penland Your Own Question
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 6667
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Type Your Ford Question Here...
A. Penland is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ford escape and there is lots of motor movement.

Customer Question

I have a ford escape and there is lots of motor movement. And a loud horrible squealing sound
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The water pump and as soon as it started ww pulled over and called a tow truck
JA: What year is your Escape?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well we just looked at it so far...but there is a motor mount thing in the front and it looks very warn and it seems as though the water pump has movement
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When we pulled over it was making a loud high pitch sound when you would accelerate when we pulled to the side of the road and slowed to stop the car was still wanting to go.... Kinda like a lunging whlie foot on brake turned off right away called tow truck
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

We have seen the motor mounts fail on these engines and also the water pump. There is one mount on the passenger side of the engine next to the belt, one under the battery which is called the transmission mount and an anti roll mount under the vehicle towards the back of the engine.

When the water pumps go bad, the water pump pulley will vibrate and wobble and cause the belt to squeal when the engine is running.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took it to the ford garage to look at it and of course they called saying it is the transmition i have the extended warranty but wont know if they will cover it until 600ish in to a tear down
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

Is it a Ford Extended Warranty or an aftermarket one?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it is united something
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They did say the water pump was walking. But said nothing about the mount thing when we said something about the mount they
r replied with a comment about the tires being worn too and they are a week old tires
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

Most warranty companies require us to take transmissions and engines apart for their inspectors to come and see what the problem is so they can actually see the problem. That is normal even with a Ford extended warranty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had checked codes before it went over there and there was no codes... I cant afford to have them take it apart and find out that it is not covered
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

There is a 99% chance it will be covered. They usually ask for you to approval the cost of tear down till they find the problem and then the warranty company will cover the repair. You will only have to pay a deductible if you have one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what about that motor mount and all the movement that the motor has. If they inspected the car isnt that something they should have seen i had a 2003 escape and there were transmission problems with it there were signs of it and codes for it.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

The transmission will not always set a trouble code unless there is an electrical failure inside the transmission. As for the mount, they should have seen it. But I cannot speak for them as I personally cannot see your vehicle or the mount.