Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Cranks but wont start. 99 3.8 mustang. Changed fuel filer,

Customer Question
cranks but wont start JA: Have...
cranks but wont start
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 99 3.8 mustang
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed fuel filer, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and when i sprayed carb cleaner into the intake was the closst i got it to starting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was running, then started it up i my driveway one night and it ran for awhile then cut out and hasnt started since
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
1/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 10 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Have you checked for trouble codes in the PCM (Engine Computer)?

no codes

Does the check engine light come on when the key is on and go out when the engine is cranking over?
How did you check for fuel to the engine and spark?

the light comes on and goes off, you can smell the fuel in the engine area while trying to start car
replaced coil pack too

Remove a couple of spark plugs and see if they are fouled out with fuel.

Also, remove a spark plug and place it in the plug wire and place it on good clean metal ground and have someone crank the engine over. You should get a bright blue/white spark.

ok but could a bad sparkplug just make the car stop running all of a sudden?
ive been working on cars for years and was a mechanic at a car dealer and this is the first time ever that i have been stumped

Loss of spark to all the spark plugs will cause it to not start. You stated you can smell fuel. I just need to verify there is spark to any of the spark plugs. I need to narrow down the cause. Without any trouble codes, we need to eliminate all the possibilities.

ok be right back

Ok.

sparkplugs are filthy and smell like gas

No spark I guess. But place a clean spark plug in one of the plug wires and crank the engine over. Look for a bright blue/white spark.

dont have new ones yet

Clean one of the old ones off and try it. Do not buy anything yet. Lets verify what the problem is first and save money.

could the plugs be bad thats why car wont start, also one of the ends that clip on to the coil pack with two clips has a clip that has broken off could that be a problem?
be back in a bit

Ok.

there is no spark

Check fuse 34 in the dash fuse box and also check for power on the RED/GREEN striped wire at the coil connector with the key turned on.

wait now i have spark

Is there a red theft light on the dash flashing rapidly when you try to start the vehicle when it would not start?

no it comes on for like 3 secs then goes off

So you now have spark, is it constant or intermittent?

constant

Clean the spark plugs and reinstall them. See if it will start.

A. Penland
A. Penland