Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My 2001 Ford Escape will not hold a charge. It started a few

Customer Question

My 2001 Ford Escape will not hold a charge. It started a few months after my ignition lock cylinder began acting up. It would act like the key was sitting in the ignition even with it removed (it was giving a "ding, ding, ding"). It could easily be rectified by jiggling the cylinder. Now the digital odometer and transmission position indication on the instrument panel remains on even with the car off and key removed. Nothing else remains on (no radio, instruments, lights, etc.). I removed the cylinder lock and unplugged the ignition switch and still get the same results. Overnight the battery will discharge and the vehicle cannot be cranked in the morning. However, if battery cables are hooked up to another vehicle (even without that vehicle running) the Ford will immediately crank and run, but will die if the cables are removed too soon. It may take me awhile to respond. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** will be helping you today. Is the interior light staying on or just the odometer and trans shift indicator?

The odometer and shift indicator should be on when the door is opened on this vehicle. I will be off line for the day and am opting out so another Expert can come in and help you today.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Do you own a digital volt meter to perform a battery draw test?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have an analog volt meter. Will that work?

A digital one is need to perform this drain test. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/escapedrain.pdf

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, I will be at work tomorrow evening and I know a guy that has one. I'll give you a reply tomorrow about 4 or 5 pm.

Super

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris