Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I'm installing an after-market stereo (with remote CD

Customer Question

I'm installing an after-market stereo (with remote CD changer). The wiring harnesses don't match any diagrams that I have been able to find. There are two connectors. One in-line 8-pin and one 16-pin (8 over 8) connector. None of the speaker wire colors match what are available on the connectors. Thanks for any help!
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?
Customer: Yes. It doesn't contain any wiring diagrams
JA: What is the model of your '16 Ford?
Customer: 1996 Explorer Ltd.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried using two different wiring harnesses that are "supposed" to fit my vehicle. I've also looked at on-line wiring diagrams that don't match my vehicle either. The actual wire colors are different than what the diagrams show
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My original stereo included a remote cd changer that I will not be using with the new stereo. The are 8 wires going into my 16-pin connector. I assume these are the speaker wires. I don't know how to match them to my stereo because wires that attach directly to the speakers don't match any of the wires in the harness
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Which system dose your 1996 Explorer have in it from factory?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a JBL with an am/fm cassette in the dash (double-din) and a remote CD changer in the console
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

So your trying to adapt your aftermarket radio to the factory harness?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay give me a moment and Ill dig up the diagrams for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, I'm looking for a connector face/ pinout chart similar to the one found here: www.justanswer.com/ford/14xhu-need-wiring-diagram-1996-ford-explorer-radio.html
The diagram at this location is not the one for my JBL system.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If you can get me the connector number from the diagrams I sent you I can get this for you. Look at the diagrams and get me the connector number you need.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess it's the front control unit (C228)
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay see this connector in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/C228%20Jan%201.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. That doesn't show me the speaker wire colors coming from the amp (sorry, I don't know what to ask for). Can you send me C331 and C256? Thx
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Let me have a look at the amp , hold on a second, okay here is the speaker wires from the amp. Is this what you need.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/AMP%20connector%20Jan%201.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Back to square one. That is not my connector, or the color of my wires. The "JBL" system wiring is different than the "premium". I'll probably have to take this to a professional installer since I don't have what I need to bypass the amp
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Ill open this back up for you and perhaps someone else has what you need.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** is a print out wiring diagram with the JBL layout. If this is what you needed then please accept answer and rate my help 5 STARS. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqo3m3b6im3pq5x/1996%20Explorer%20JBL.pdf?dl=0