sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Pretty much everyday now, even more so when the times get

Customer Question

Pretty much everyday now, even more so when the times get colder, i guess....my truck cranks but does not start, it could take any where from 1 crank to many many cranks before starting?? Sometimes i have to leave it and come back later during the day and try again. I have been through all the obvious things more than once.... fuel pumps, fuel pump modems, fuel pump relays, fuel filters..................this is an 06 E150, 8 cylinder 110k miles. By the way once its started it will be good all day until it sits overnight.....? Truck is well kept, this has been a nightmare and a money pit, this one is a stunner and would be very surprised if anyone could solve this one........!
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 110K miles, every time i replace something in the fuel system it would start in one crank no issue, until it starts doing it again.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 06 E150, 8 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not myself, but i replaced the fuel pump relay myself, camshaft sensor, the crank sensor i took it to a mechanic, and the rest of the times to dealers
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a ford specialist near here in Bloomfield? no dealers, i give up with them.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a hard start and it will take some testing at the time the problem is happening to determine exactly what is going on. I would first suspect a fuel pressure bleedoff issue with these symptoms.

Are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How would you fix a fuel pump bleed off issue?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would take it to a mechanic and have him do this, I am willing to try anything at this point..

Are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No fault codes

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
lets say this is a bleed off issue, would this require a new pump and filter?

It could be through the pump or one or more fuel injectors.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Crank senser has been changed,fuel pump relay has been changed, pump twice in 3 years, fuel pump modem twice in one year................, i could do the injectors and see if that works if they are possibly suspects.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i don't have a gage, i do not do auto mechanics, i am an HVAC Mechanic? contractor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
don't know much about cars

It's up to you but I wouldn't really recommend spending hundreds of dollars replacing the injectors on a guess, I'd rather diagnose the problem and be sure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you recommend a Ford Auto Mechanic in New Jersey, Bloomfield area?

I'm not in that area so I couldn't recommend anyone from personal experience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i guess i am back to where i started and faced with a choice of just getting rid of the vehicle.

Or you could find someone willing to actually diagnose the problem correctly if it's not something you're able to do on your own.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought if anything the dealers would be the ones to pin point exactly why this is happening but they don't have mechanics who knows how to???(youngsters) or they don't want to spend the time, remember this is a work truck, I have left it with them for up to a week in the past still they bullshit me..........this is the reason why I am trying other mechanics and hence you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just wonder sometimes if I go to these people houses , if they would allow me to bullshit them about there ac/heating units? Unbelievable,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
then charge them on top of this, the last mechanic charge over $500. To replace the module, before the dealer charged me $800. For the same thing after keeping my vehicle for 6 days and didn't even call me, I had to call them, it's very frustrating......you see where I am coming from.

A dealer would usually be the best place to go since they have all the necessary equipment, service information and training.